The Law Commission of Ontario (LCO) is seeking applications from Ontarians across the province, who are interested in joining the LCO Board of Governors.
The LCO is Ontario’s leading law reform agency. Its mandate is to advance law reform and access to justice in Ontario. The LCO does this by providing independent, balanced and authoritative advice and recommendations on some of Ontario’s most complex and far-reaching legal policy issues. The LCO evaluates laws impartially, transparently, and broadly. Its work is informed by legal analysis; multidisciplinary research; public consultations; social, economic, and demographic conditions; and the impact of technology. For more information about the LCO, the Board, and current LCO projects, see www.lco-cdo.org.
The LCO is currently seeking applications from Ontarians who wish to become at-large members of the LCO Board. Appointments are for three years with a potential renewal for an additional term. The Board is responsible for the overall supervision of the LCO. This role includes approving the LCO’s policies; budgets; and projects, final reports, and recommendations. The LCO will consider the following factors in selecting at-large Board members:
- Experience or interest in law reform and/or Ontario’s justice system;
- Experience in policy areas or academic fields relevant to the LCO’s work (including law and other areas);
- Ensuring the LCO Board reflects Ontario’s diversity, and includes Indigenous representation;
- Ensuring the LCO Board includes members from across Ontario;
- Ensuring the LCO Board reflects the bilingual nature of Ontario’s justice system; and
- Ensuring the LCO Board includes both lawyers and non-lawyers.
Interested applicants should email a letter of intent and resume to the attention of Professor Bruce Elman, Chair of the LCO Board of Governors, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may also be mailed to Professor Elman’s attention at Law Commission of Ontario, 2032 Ignat Kaneff Building, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 4700 Keele Street, Toronto, Ontario, M3J 1P3. The deadline for applications is Friday, November 10, 2017.
Have any questions? Please refer to our FAQ document. For further information, please contact Professor Elman at email@example.com or (416) 650-8406. Applications will be kept on file for three years to be considered for future vacancies.