Public Consultations June – September 2017
A Public Discussion on Improving the Last Stages of Life
Discussion Paper – 250 Pages
Executive Summary – 15 Pages
If you have ever:
- wondered how to plan for your health care and choices near the end of life,
- made a medical decision for a family member who was acutely ill, or had a decision made for you in these circumstances,
- provided supports or services to someone in the above circumstances,
- worried about being able to access services like palliative care when you need it,
then you have been affected by Ontario’s laws relating to the last stages of life.
These laws affect many Ontarians, and in profound and life-changing ways.
The Law Commission of Ontario (LCO) is leading a project called Improving the Last Stages of Life. The project considers how the law shapes the rights, choices, and quality of life for persons who are dying and those who support them. Our goal is to hear from these groups to better identify and recommend law reforms that are concrete, precise, and responsive to the experience of persons in the last stages of life.
Introducing the Last Stages of Life Project – Live on Facebook
Sign up to receive updates on our forthcoming Facebook Live sessions using the form to the right.
We want to hear your thoughts on these issues
1. Palliative Care Needs Identified
2. Receiving Care for Conditions
|Withdrawing and Withholding Treatment (see also our commissioned paper on substitute decision-makers)|
We want to hear from you!
The LCO’s formal consultation period runs from June– September 2017. We invite your participation through:
- The project website
- Written submissions at any time to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Watch live and archived webcast consultation sessions
- Complete the consultation survey on your mobile, tablet, or computer (forthcoming)
- Propose an in-person focus group for your community
- Contacting Project Research Lawyer, Ryan Fritsch, through the contact information below
Law Commission of Ontario Toronto (416) 650-8406
Project on Improving the Last Stages of Life Toll-Free (866) 950-8406
2032 Ignat Kaneff Building TTY (416) 650-8082
Osgoode Hall Law School, York University Fax (416) 650-8418
4700 Keele Street, Toronto, ON M3J 1P3 E-mail: email@example.com
Written submissions will be accepted until September 29, 2017