Public Consultations 2018
Our survey is now live!
The survey is now open until March 31, 2018. The LCO is looking for your views on 6 important issues in the last stages of life including caregiver needs, health care consent, and medical assistance in dying. Your answers will help us understand how the law is working and inform recommendations for change in our final report to government.
Here’s how you can participate:
- Complete the survey online using your smartphone, tablet or computer (available in English only)
- Help others access and complete the survey
- Download a Word version of the survey and send it back to us through mail, email or fax
- Call us and complete the survey over the phone with someone
This survey was developed with Tickit Health.
A Public Discussion on Improving the Last Stages of Life
Discussion Paper – 250 Pages
Executive Summary – 15 Pages
If you have ever:
- wondered how to plan for your health care and choices near the end of life,
- made a medical decision for a family member who was acutely ill, or had a decision made for you in these circumstances,
- provided supports or services to someone in the above circumstances,
- worried about being able to access services like palliative care when you need it,
then you have been affected by Ontario’s laws relating to the last stages of life.
These laws affect many Ontarians, and in profound and life-changing ways.
The Law Commission of Ontario (LCO) is leading a project called Improving the Last Stages of Life. The project considers how the law shapes the rights, choices, and quality of life for persons who are dying and those who support them. Our goal is to hear from these groups to better identify and recommend law reforms that are concrete, precise, and responsive to the experience of persons in the last stages of life.
We want to hear your thoughts on these issues
1. Palliative Care Needs Identified
2. Receiving Care for Conditions
|Withdrawing and Withholding Treatment (see also our commissioned paper on substitute decision-makers)|
- 2-page overview
- Press release
- Overview Presentation
- 7 Commissioned Research Papers
- Special Roundtable Consultations
- January 2018: the LCO partnered with the HIV/AIDS Legal Clinic of Ontario to co-host a roundtable at Casey House in Toronto. The consultation brought together advocates, services providers, health care experts, and others to discuss needs and issues in Ontario’s HIV/AIDS communities.
- December 2017: the LCO partnered with Professor Jocelyn Downie, Trudeau Fellow in Health Law, Dalhousie University, to co-host a roundtable of palliative sedation experts. A summary report is forthcoming.
- November 2017: The LCO worked with local advocates to host a consultation session with over a dozen caregivers and family members of patients receiving palliative care in St. Catharines, Ontario.
- June 2017: the LCO partnered with Ryerson’s Diversity Institute to co-host a multi-faith roundtable on the issues particular to faith and spiritual needs in the last stages of life. The roundtable brought together a diversity of two dozen faith leaders, spiritual advisers and chaplains, academics, legal advocates, and health practitioners. Here are the roundtable background materials. A summary report is forthcoming.
- July 2016: the LCO hosted a roundtable on medical assistance in dying that brought together legal practitioners, health law experts, policy experts, and others to discuss implications and issues following Bill C-14.
We want to hear from you!
The LCO’s formal consultation period runs from June 2017 – March 2018. We invite your participation through:
- The project website
- Written submissions at any time to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Watch live and archived webcast consultation sessions
- Complete the consultation survey on your mobile, tablet, or computer (forthcoming)
- Propose an in-person focus group for your community
- Contacting Project Research Lawyer, Ryan Fritsch, through the contact information below
Law Commission of Ontario Toronto (416) 650-8406
Project on Improving the Last Stages of Life Toll-Free (866) 950-8406
2032 Ignat Kaneff Building TTY (416) 650-8082
Osgoode Hall Law School, York University Fax (416) 650-8418
4700 Keele Street, Toronto, ON M3J 1P3 E-mail: email@example.com
Written submissions will be accepted until February 28, 2018.