The LCO’s Defamation in the Internet Age project is in the news. In a recent Lawyer’s Weekly article, project head Sue Gratton described the intention of the project to re-examine the balance between the values underlying defamation law – protection of reputation and the Charter right to freedom of expression – in light of social and technological developments over the past 35 years. Advisory Group member Daniel Burnett identified some key issues in the project including the issue of intermediary liability for defamatory content uploaded by others and the possibility of introducing a serious harm requirement as has been adopted in the United Kingdom. To read the article click here.
Browse by Category
- Bill 59 proposes to implement recommendations from the LCO’s Fees for Cashing Government Cheques Final Report
- Capacity and guardianship final report in the news!
- The Law Commission of Ontario releases its Final Report on Legal Capacity, Decision-making and Guardianship!
- La CDO embauche chercheurs étudiants pour l’été 2017!
- LCO is Hiring Law Student Researchers for Summer 2017!