This project addresses the concern that the cost of obtaining probate in Ontario may be disproportionate to the value of small estates, thereby discouraging the use of probate for those estates. The project explores different models for administering small estates and considers whether there should be a simplified small estate process in Ontario and, if so, what form that small estate procedure should take.
Many people from different sectors have something of value to contribute to the Law Commission of Ontario’s (LCO’s) work in this project. We want to hear from you, whether you are an individual who has been involved in administering a small estate, a beneficiary or creditor of a small estate, an estates lawyer or other professional, or in any other way interested in the issues raised in this report.
Our consultation period runs until December 11, 2014. There are many ways to express your views or help us hear from those affected by this project:
- Complete the easy questionnaire posted on our website.
- Send us your comments in writing, by fax, in an email or in our online comment box. We are particularly interested in answers to the consultation questions asked in this paper, but welcome comment on any aspect of small estate administration in Ontario.
- Give us a call and arrange a time to talk about your experiences in person or on the telephone.
- Help us arrange a focus group of your peers.
- We can arrange to travel to different parts of the province or to set up web consultations.
- You may have other suggestions for how you can best express your views or help others tell us their experiences.
We will make every effort to have consultations in appropriate languages; however, the LCO’s resources are not extensive and we would appreciate suggestions about how to address this issue.
Please get in touch with us or send in your submission by Thursday, December 11, 2014.
CONTACT INFORMATION FOR THE LAW COMMISSION OF ONTARIO
Toll-Free Tel: 1.866.950.8406
Toll Free TTY: 1.877.650.8082
Explain that you are interested in talking about the Small Estates project and someone will discuss with you how you can participate in a way that works for you.
|First Page||Last Page|
|Table of Contents|