This post is also available in: français (French)
Aneurin (Nye) Thomas
Executive Director Aneurin (Nye) Thomas is the Executive Director of the Law Commission of Ontario.
Laura Caruso (on leave)
Executive Officer and Secretary to the Board of Governors Laura Caruso joined the LCO on June 16, 2014. As Executive Officer, Laura is the primary contact and liaison for communications between the ED and the LCO’s stakeholders, and manages the day-to-day operations of the LCO. As Secretary to the Board of Governors, Laura works closely with the LCO’s Board and its Committees, and is responsible for its operational and administrative functions.
- LLB, Honours, University of Huddersfield (UK); NCA Certificate of Qualification
- Certificate in Dispute Resolution, York University
- BA, Honours, York University
Executive Officer and Secretary to the Board of Governors Amanda Rodrigues has been with the LCO since March 2009. Currently serving as the Executive Officer, Amanda is the primary contact and liaison for communications between the ED and the LCO’s stakeholders, and manages the day-to-day operations of the LCO. As Secretary to the Board of Governors, Amanda works closely with the LCO’s Board and its Committees, and is responsible for its operational and administrative functions.
- Project and Web Coordinator, Law Commission of Ontario (2009-2018)
- Law School Admissions Test Centre Supervisor, Law School Admissions Council (2011-2016)
- Junior Research Consultant (Internship), United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (2010-2011)
- Office Administrator, Information Technology Services, York University (2008-2009)
- Administrative Assistant Work-Study, Office of the Executive Officer, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University (2007-2008)
- Library Page, Mississauga Library System (2003-2006)
- Bilingual BA, Political Science, Collège universitaire Glendon of York University (2011)
Maricela Villalta Morales
Project and Web Coordinator Maricela Villalta Morales joined the LCO in October 2018. She has worked in the legal sector for 12 years.
Dr. Sue Gratton
Counsel Dr. Sue Gratton has been counsel with the LCO since 2011. As Project Head, she has completed 2 LCO projects involving small estates and forestry workers. She is currently Project Head of Defamation Law in the Internet Age.
- Adjunct Faculty Member, Osgoode Hall Law School (2010)
- Adjunct Faculty Member, University of Toronto, Faculty of Law (2005 – 2008)
- Partner and Research Lawyer, McCarthy Tétrault LLP (1998 – 2004)
- Associate Research Lawyer, McCarthy Tétrault LLP (1992 – 1997)
- Several academic awards and scholarships
- Publications in the areas of administrative and constitutional law
- Authored report on curriculum reform for the Dean’s Office, University of Toronto, Faculty of Law
- Instructor in the areas of administrative law and legal research and writing
- Academic Director, Upper Year Compulsory Moot Program, University of Toronto, Faculty of Law (2005-2008)
- S.J.D., University of Toronto, Faculty of Law (2010)
- LL.B., University of Toronto, Faculty of Law (1990)
- B.A. (Distinction) in Philosophy, McGill University (1987)
Counsel Ryan Fritsch joined the LCO on December 1, 2016. He is experienced in teaching, litigating, and leading community and corporate social justice initiatives as a Toronto-based health law, human rights, and administrative law lawyer.
Previous Work Experience
- Policy Counsel, Mental Health Strategy, Legal Aid Ontario
- Sessional Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Windsor
- Legal Counsel, Psychiatric Patient Advocate Office
- Staff Lawyer, EcoJustice Canada
- McGill University, Faculty of Law — Montreal — LL.M., 2010
- University of Windsor, Faculty of Law — Windsor — LL.B., 2005
- University of Victoria, Department of Political Science — Victoria — B.A., 2002
Current Project: Improving the Last Stages of Life
Counsel Susie comes to the LCO with academic, policy and private practice experience.
- Associate, Rogers Partners LLP
- Regulatory Counsel, Bell Canada
- Research Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School
- Law Clerk, Court of Appeal for Ontario
- Harvard Law School — Cambridge, MA — LL.M., 2005
- Queen’s University, Faculty of Law — Kingston — LL.B., 2003
- University of British Columbia, Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Honours English — Vancouver — B.A., 1998
Current Project: Class Actions: Objectives, Experiences and Reforms